Updated info on Hearing Aid funding

First, get your hearing tested. Some GPs will do this, but they can’t prescribe hearing aids. However, if it is a sudden or one-sided hearing loss your GP may refer you on to ENT at the Medical Specialist Group.

There are three hearing aid providers on the island:

Mario Cavagnetto of Advanced Hearing Services at the Grandes Maisons surgery at St Sampsons (Tel: 245999),

Specsavers in the Market Square in Town, (Tel: 723530)

Hidden Hearing at La Villette Hotel, St Martins, (Tel: 0203 22554400) and in St Peter Port http://www.hiddenhearing.co.uk

Once a hearing test has been done and a hearing aid or aids have been prescribed by a hearing aid audiologist, and you are in receipt of Supplementary Benefit you need to contact: Social Security Department, Edward T. Wheadon House, Le Truchot, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 3WH.  Telephone: 01481 732501.

You should explain that hearing aid(s) have been prescribed and the reasons why you would find it difficult to afford to pay for them yourself. SSD will then request information from the hearing aid provider and perhaps ask for further financial information from you. SSD may or may not award a full or partial grant.

However, if you are not in receipt of Supplementary Benefit, or if the grant awarded is insufficient to pay for the aids that have been prescribed, GHHA will be happy to look at your circumstances and may award our own grant.

For further information please contact Nikki Stephens on 07911 728414 or email us on ghha@suremail.gg




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s